Federal Building, McKinleyville – 3140 Boeing Ave
Main floor public areas; jury rooms, chambers hallways.
The new courthouse in McKinleyville opened in 2015. Featured here are
five original 1936 Thomas Laman murals, which were restored and relocated from the old Eureka courthouse. These murals from the New Deal period were considered to be an ideal complement to this courtroom and have provided the inspiration for artwork in the courtrooms in San Francisco and Oakland. We managed their removal from Eureka, restoration with Anne Rosenthal, and reframed them in our Oakland conservation framing studios.
Exhibits depicting the area’s history are displayed in the public lobby and hallways outside the courtroom on the main floor and Chambers hallways.
The 100-piece historical exhibit was installed in 2015.
Additional historical images of the Seagrams collection of national courthouses are displayed in the Court’s jury room.
The judge of this local court assisted with the selection of the images for the displays and also assisted with the editorial review of the detailed narratives and captions accompanying each piece.
Each piece has been digitally restored from various collections, including Humboldt State University Library and historical societies in Mendocino, Del Norte, and Lake Counties. Custom picture framing and installation were produced in Oakland by Eco Framing.
A four-foot diameter old-growth redwood court seal was commissioned locally for the courtroom.